Tuesday, March 06, 2007

10 Reasons to Love and Hate Living in DC

Let me start out by saying, I do not technically live here. I live in the suburbs about 35 miles south of the city and I commute everyday, but if you take into account the amount of time I spend here for work, I am technically here more than home. (see green peg on map).



I love DC because:


1. Great Museums (Smithsonian)


2. The beach, mountains for skiing, Baltimore, Annapolis, Philly, Richmond and NYC are all fairly close


3. Plenty of great restaurants and CAKELOVE!


4. We also have pretty decent radio stations


5. The bars


6. The shopping


7. Georgetown


8. The Mall


9. The C&O Canal, Billy goat trail and rock-climbing


10. The FBI


Oh yeah and this.


I hate DC because:


1. Hot dog vendors from VA that drive their carts around


2. Bike Messengers (I just had to deal with one of them for a filing and I almost smacked him)


3. Taxi Cab drivers…..don't get me started


4. Terrorism


5. Pigeons


6. Street layout


7. Homelessness


8. The people that are not from here t hat "act" like they know…..


9. The cost of living


10. The Metro



And from this site:

"In truth, you can't swing a stick in Washington without smacking somebody who doesn't resent the onerous way the Federal government asserts itself on the residents of the city. Many are the people in Congress who simply believe that DC residents are superfluous to the city's existence, and the way the Feds use the city as their Petri dish of social experimentation is just putrid. Beyond that, DC's like a lot of cities: dysfunctional local government, weird city layout, crime, homelessness, a certain amount of dickheads and weirdoes, et cetera."